Saturday, October 1, 2011

Mantel...Yes, No, Maybe So

Mantel question for you,

I took this mantel down to...
  1. paint it
  2. fix it, because it was loose
  3. and to also see if I even wanted it up any more



This was the mantel at Christmas last year.


and a little autumn a few years ago.


This is the support board that was loose. To remove this mantel, all you do is unscrew 2 screws on the top that screw into this board.

The mantel itself has a hollow back, so it slides over this board.



This was the loose screw. It needed a new sinker in the brick.


Tah Dah!!! I loved it as soon as it came off.

The pros of having it off...
  • I like the clean look ( well not clean as in there isn't a boat load of soot all over it lol)
  • I don't have to think about how to decorate it
  • I don't have to paint it or fix it now!
The cons of having it off...
  • no Christmas decorations up there any more
  • the 2 candle stick lamps I always have up there gave a little light to that side of the room
  • I need to find something each season to put up there



Here is an autumn wreath I just put up.


Here's the question...
  • do I center the wreath over the fire place opening (like it is here) or center it across the whole width of the brick area. There is another chimney off to the right that juts out about 18 inches creating a definite end. 

I also painted one of those large cardboard letters you buy in a craft store. Kind of looks like wrought iron up against the fireplace screen. This may be my go to decoration when I don't have a wreath!

The only thing is, it looks empty off to the right over the basket of wood.



What would you do?
  1. mantel off or mantel on
  2. if it is off...center over opening or center in the whole brick area
Thanks so much for your help,
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...