Monday, November 14, 2011

Tool Time Tuesday...Light Plate Cover

Happy Tuesday everyone...today's project is a quick fix for an old problem that we've had, but I would rather not hire someone to come in and fix.

See this picture below...this is the "after".



This is the before...


We moved into this house 18 years ago. Nothing was our style, including lights, colors, kitchen, flooring etc. Well, little by little we changed things. We put these sconces in to replace very big and very ugly wall lights. The previous owner had them off center, because she had corner cabinets in this room. Off center doesn't work for me, but there were more important things to do over the years.



Well, I can't take off center any more. I didn't want to remove the electrical box all together just in case we want to do something later when we can afford it. So covering it up is the thing to do.

I did take pictures of the steps to remove this fixture, but decided against showing it. You should hire someone qualified to remove it or if you know someone with experience. It is easy, but I don't want to be responsible!!

The most important thing is TURN OFF THE CIRCUIT BREAKER TO THE LIGHT...not just the light switch!!!



Here's what you may have when it's off...1 or 2 mounts.


Measure these holes or the holes that are on the diagonal bracket in the back. I used the larger holes in the back.


Here's my saving grace...a $2.00 cover plate.


Super thin, so it's flat against the wall.


Metal on one side and white on the other.


I painted it the wall color.


and the screws too!


Screw it in and it's invisible...well, almost. Good enough for me!!


I circled here...


The wall sconce was off to the left on this wall and off to the right on the opposite wall. Couldn't do anything with lamps with that crazy thing stuck up there!

Here's the after again.


Here is the plate circled. I might add a little wall plaster in the groves of the screws to really fill it in.




Here's a quick tip for a bow. I used chair webbing or strapping.


and place your jar candle on a candle stick and wire some berries around it. Better than worrying about a regular candle on there.


Here's a peek at another dresser redo...stay tuned. Nothing earth shattering, but not bad. No before pictures, because this is a hand me down 4 times over!!


Have a great Tuesday,
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...