Monday, January 16, 2012

Tool Time Tuesday...File Your Fabric

Happy Tuesday! You all know Tool Time ideas and supplies come from all sorts of places...hardware stores, automotive stores, paint stores, the recycle bin etc. Well, today it's from the office supply...actually the file cabinet in my sewing room, but you can find it in the office supply.

You know they say..."necessity is the mother of all inventions." My necessity is...I needed a new place to store my fabric, because it was getting too much sunlight. However, you know I don't like to spend money!!

Here's what I came up with in desperation to keep my fabric neat, ironed and out of the sun.

Isn't it so pretty?


This is where I keep my fabric now...right out there in the bright light. Click here for a link to the rest of my sewing room ideas


I loved this method too...easy access, fabric is pretty, I can see what I need or have. The only bad part is...if I want that bottom piece, things get a little wonky.


Not to mention that whole wall of windows on the right side of the room streaming in the fabric fading light!


Here's what I came up with.

I have this file cabinet next to my sewing table. On top is set up for a cup of tea when crafting.


Inside it stores all my greeting cards by holiday.


Not for long...this is just the start of my new fabric filing system!!!


The fabric hangs on a Pendaflex Hanging Folder...
  • easy to see
  • keeps it ironed and wrinkle free
  • file by color, designer etc
  • out of the sunlight!!


Buy the pendaflex folders by the box.


and get your fabric ready!!


Since it's a folder, there are 2 sides...


Open up the folder...


and cut it in half


This is a half yard cut of fabric folded in half, selvage edge on the bottom...


fold in half again...


Place on file folder...


and fold the fabric over. The selvage edge will be draping down next to the sides of the folder


Hang in your file cabinet


For longer yardage of fabric, do the same thing by folding it in half and then half again (fold goes to the selvage edge). Your yardage (1,2,3 yards) lays out left to right.


Now just wrap the fabric over the file folder.


If there is a lot of yardage, you may not want to cut the folder in half...having the 2 parts will add strength for the weight of the fabric.


All wrapped up and ready to hang.


Ahhh...so pretty and neat...and safe from the sun. Maybe I should move my tea station though


Now I just need to get my butt in gear and sew something...I think my hobby really is organizing my supplies and not doing anything with them!!! LOL

I also need to be on the hunt for yard sale or thrift store file cabinets!

EDIT...there have been a few comments about the acid in the paper of the folder or the color bleeding. I'm not sure about the color, but the Pendaflex file website has a big ACID FREE sign on the page about the Pendaflex files. Click here to visit their site.

If you are worried about the color of the file, they do sell manila or no color folders or you could just place a piece of tissue or acid free paper between the fabric and folder.

Have a great day and have fun playing with your fabric.
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...