Monday, July 5, 2010

Tool Time Tuesday...Vertical Storage

space
Happy Tuesday! Today's tutorial is storage and recycling all in one. Not just any storage...vertical storage. All the flat surfaces on my shelves and tables are stacked high and I needed space for all my spray cans. They were down stairs in the basement on my husband's work bench, but I'm the one who uses them the most. It will be much easier if the cans were in my craft/sewing room.




I found this old plank in my dad's shed and it is just what I wanted...
space


Old and beat up. Not sure if I want to leave it natural like this or rub it with a clear stain to bring out the natural color of the wood. Will see!
space


Here is the recycling part. Coffee cans and more coffee cans all ready to be spray painted
space

First peel off the paper to reveal the metal.



I picked a bright and cheery red, the new accent color in my sewing room



Take your cans and the wooden board...



and line them up to decide the distance apart.



I also added one of my pipe straps for a handle at the top of the board.



Since I was using many cans, I cut out a template to speed up the process. Trace the can on card stock or card board.



Cut it out and...




fold in quarters.



Poke a hole in the center for marking.



The next step is to find the placement of each can. My can centered with an inch on each side and 1 1/2 inches between each can.



Mark the center.



Pre drill a hole.



Now you need to find the center of each can on the bottom.



Just place the same template on the bottom.



Mark and...


drill each hole.



This view is the inside of the can. Just take a small screw and going from the inside, screw it into the pre drilled hole in the wood.



and here they are all attached.



Now I can just lean it up against any wall or cabinet. This is dead space, but now it's my paint center with a pop of color too.



I still have space on the bottom for more cans...guess I need to drink more coffee!
space











Here's a little update...I now use the vertical storage for string!!




Here is another post I did a long time ago with coffee cans that is another great spray paint can holder. Click here to take a peek at that one too.


I know I mounted my cans on a board, but you can also just screw them right into the wall over your work table or on the back of a cabinet or the side of a bookcase or on the inside of a closet door. Maybe even in your garage or on the wall going down to your basement.
space
You don't have to use this for spray cans either. How about...
  • scissors
  • pens/pencils
  • rulers
  • tools
  • rolled up fabric
  • skeins of yarn
  • magazines
  • patterns
  • string
  • hot glue gun sticks
  • and all your special crafting needs
Start saving or I know some of you already have cans tucked away for a future project, so get them out, paint them up and start your vertical storage today!!
Have a wonderful Tuesday,
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...