Monday, May 14, 2012

Make Your Own Handmade Fabric Labels...

I know we are all "Do It Yourselfers", so when we make things for others as gifts or to sell, why not have your own fabric label to add to what ever you make.

Here's a quick tutorial on how to make your own fabric labels, but you can certainly add your own special touch to them too.

You will need:
  • fabric...I used 100% cotton muslin
  • Freezer paper...found in the grocery store in the aluminum foil section
  • computer and printer

Here is my attempt at a "Sew Many Ways" label.



Here's where the idea first started over 3 years ago. Remember my daughter Courtney's high school senior project? It was a Underground Railroad quilt. If you look in the lower right corner, I showed her how to make a label describing all the blocks in the quilt. This is the same process.


Here is a picture of freezer paper. Dull on one side, shiny on the other. You will use this to stabilize the fabric as it goes through the printer. The shiny side is perfect for ironing on fabric and it is re-usable over and over. I also use freezer paper for English Paper Piecing my hexagons.


Iron the shiny side down on the wrong side of the fabric. Don't let the iron touch the shiny side!!!


Trim paper/fabric to 8 1/2 inches x 11 inches.


Fabric on one side, paper on the other.


I used Mircrosoft word to print what I wanted...experiment with your own computer.


I printed towards the bottom of the label, so I can fold it over...see below.



Iron the whole sheet to "set" the ink.


Cut out and just peel off the paper.


I folded over the side edges.

 
and then folded in half.


Perfect little label ready to sew into a seam.






If you want a flat label that can be permanently ironed on, instead of folding like I did, just iron the label to permanent fusible web, like Heat and Bond. Then the label can be ironed onto your item.

Have fun experimenting,
~Karen~

Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...