Monday, July 12, 2010

Snowball Night...Squaring Them Up

Hope everyone who joined the Snowball Night is still sewing away each week. Your pile of snowballs is growing, waiting to be sewn together in the future. Before you sew them together, you might need to square them up. I've had a few emails about this, so thought I would do a post with a few pictures to help.
space
This is how I square up snowballs...if anyone else would like to share a post on how you might do it...let me know and I can share your link with everyone.
space
All of these tips are based on the fact that your original square is "square"...what I mean is, that it is cut to a true 5 inch square (or whatever size you are doing)
space
Here is one of the snowballs from my future I Spy quilt. The original background square is 5 inches. I sewed the four corners on and now I need to square them up.
space
There is another tip below for sewing the squares on so there is a little more fabric to trim rather than having too short a block. Better to trim than to throw a block away because it's way too small.
space




I place my 6 inch wide ruler on the block.




I make sure that all the lines of the original block are within the 5 inch size.



I do this check on all 4 sides.




The right side of the ruler is where I will be doing the trimming. Make sure the ruler is even with the original square.




See the excess of the black corner square.




That's what you need to trim. Do that on all sides, but always keep the original size of the background block.




I do the same for blocks that are larger than my 6 inch ruler. This block is 8 1/2"




Just square up the block on the top, bottom and the right side.




here's the bottom of the 8 1/2" block...




and here's the top all lined up.




Now just trim up the corners.




Here is the other tip for sewing on the corners so you won't have a block that is too small or shorter corner squares.
space
If you are using the diagonal line to sew on...




sew just a hair over the line (towards the corner). See where I'm pointing.








This is a close up of the red thread that I sewed with.




That little extra bit helps with the folding over of the triangle. It takes into account for the thickness of your thread.




Hope this helps.
space
Happy Sewing,
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...