Monday, September 20, 2010

Tool Time Tuesday...New Sewing Table

Tool Time Riddle...
What do you get when you cross a

Hollow core door with...
space

wire and some...


Dryer vent tape?


Well, a new sewing desk of course!


My sister gave me these 2 side tables a while ago. Thanks Colleen!



They've been in different rooms throughout the house...
now they're in my sewing room. They were different heights, so I removed the legs from one and the base from the other.



I gave them a fresh coat of black paint. I officially hate painting.
My theory is, if you don't see it...I don't paint it!





I added some left over stainless steel knobs that I had.




The 2 drawer pulls were an odd size that I didn't have.
I improvised with some wire.



To make your own drawer pulls, just take heavy duty wire, a rod or dowel and wire cutters.



Wrap the wire around the rod until your desired length.



Slide off, but leave the 2 ends long enough to thread through the holes in the drawer.





Insert through the front and twist off the ends inside the drawer.
Wrap the ends with duct tape if you need to.



Very easy...


and cute. Kind of looks like it's smiling at me!



Here's the other base. Put them all together and you have a...



brand new desk. You could always use 2 filing cabinets for the supports too.



See that edge? I wanted to use something different to cover it.
I bought wooden trim, but decided to return it.
I was going to use yard sticks, but didn't have enough that matched.



This one I really brainstormed over.
I walked all over the house, in the basement, my husband workshop...
looking at this and fiddling with that.



Until I found this! Ahhhh (insert angelic singing voice)
This little wonder is dryer vent tape!
space


You know that silver tubing that sticks out from the back of your dryer?
Well, this is the tape that you wrap around it.



Since it's Tuesday...we won't be fixing dryers any time soon.
Just peel and stick. It wrinkles easily, so work carefully!


Smooths out pretty well.
Some spots I should do over, but it's just my sewing table!




Isn't she pretty?



I actually put a clear coat of polyurethane on the other side.
I didn't like the color once it dried, so I left it natural.



Here are a few tips for things on top.



That white thing with the scissors in it is a tooth brush holder.
I bought that for the girl's bathroom.
I hated it...and I'm a dental hygienist. How could I hate a tooth brush holder?
The brushes kept slipping off the bottom plate and sliding out of the holder.
Great for my scissors now!!



That holder off to the left is from the office supply store.
It would hold your papers if you were typing something on the computer.
Well, for me it keeps my quilt or sewing pattern up off the table and easy to read!



How about an antique tool box to hold your thread.
I have 2 of the wall mount thread racks, but I don't have any wall space.




This desk only cost $20.00 and that was for the door.
The side tables were hand me downs, the paint I already had from painting the front door, the knobs were from another project and the wire and silver tape I stole (oops) borrowed from my hubby.



Now that you are armed with the tools to make your own desk, I'm sure you could find things that could work for you. How about:
  • 2 filing cabinets
  • 2 saw horses
  • planks of wood attached together
  • pre made and pre sized Formica counters. They sell them at Home Depot or Lowe's
  • an old kitchen table cut down to the perfect height. My sewing table is 24 inches high. It's the perfect height for me and great on my back and neck. I'm only 5' 2" and 3/4. (had to add the 3/4"...I couldn't round up to 3 inches, because it's just not there)!!

space
No matter where you sew, make sure it's good for your back and neck.

Have a wonderful Tuesday,
~Karen~


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...