Thursday, February 24, 2011

Colleen's Corner...Make A Quick Kitchen Island

Here's a long story for a kitchen island.

Colleen is my sister and partner in crime helping me with my dad. Many of you know, from past posts, that my dad lives with us. He has his own separate living area just down the hallway in our home, including his own kitchen. He is 86 years old and he is dangerous! LOL !! You know floods, fire, and uses more electricity and heat to power New York City.

For obvious reasons, he can't be left alone for long periods of time. When hubby and I took the girls to Disney World over Christmas vacation, I had to arrange for someone to stay with him every minute. Two of my brothers and my nephew would come from out of state to be with him for the beginning of the week and my sister would have the last 2 days. However, mother nature kicked in and a whopping blizzard hit New England. My sister was with him the whole week all by herself...a few days at her house and the rest at mine.

Needless to say, she tried to keep busy at my house to avoid going stir crazy. She rearranged my refrigerator, played in my sewing room, cleaned dad's house, hung out with our cat Hallie upstairs for some quiet time...dad talks non stop about absolutely anything LOL!

and she built this island for my dad's kitchen.


Digging through old furniture in our basement, she found 2 side tables that are the same size and our old square coffee table.


One cabinet has doors with storage on shelves and the other has drawers.



She placed the 2 storage units back to back.



and then placed the square coffee table on top. The legs of the coffee table just unscrew to remove.



She didn't have to secure the table on top because there isn't much over hang on the sides, but you could always add "L" brackets to secure it.


There is the seam of the 2 cabinets, but it looks fine. If you were doing this for yourself, you could always cover it with bead board or wains coating to hide the seam.



What a great island...I'm sure with all that snow piling up outside, she was wishing she was on an island far, far away!




Can't thank my sister enough for all she did that week! I owe her BIG time.
space
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...