Saturday, February 26, 2011

Organize Your Life...One Spot At A Time!

Spring is coming...I hope...soon, I'm freezing! What does spring mean: spring cleaning, purging, organizing etc. On a whole, it can be a daunting task. The best solution is to take it on...one small project at a time and to do it on a budget is even better.

You've seen this picture of the cabinet in my sewing room before. Those little black and white polka dot boxes are storage bins for all sorts of crafting supplies.




The boxes looked like this when I first made them. I used spray glue to adhere the fabric to the box, but then added a bead of hot glue to the edges, because the spray glue to hold as well



I have since made more and covered them in a different fabric. Remember those are pipe straps from the hardware store for the handles...cheap, cheap!


Our 2 daughters drink a lot of bottled water, so I save every single box the water comes in.


What did I do with all the blue boxes? Well, you know that small narrow cabinet that some of us have in the kitchen...they fit perfectly in there. That cabinet has held so many things, but all the little stuff gets lost in the back.
This is now my spice cabinet, with a box for each category.



All the little jars and bottles fit in the box and it's easy to pull out the box rather than dig through the shelf looking for what I need.









I had extra boxes for another cabinet too.



I also use canning jars with the one piece lids. I started using these when that little stinker of a mouse invaded the cabinet and ate all my chocolate chips!


The boxes hold all those little items that can get lost in the shuffle.









The trick to starting a project like this is to...
  • find a container that you use all the time and then start saving them
  • if they need sprucing up (like painting or covering with fabric) do all that ahead of time
  • have all your supplies ready to go when it's organizing time
  • if you start to organize and then have to make all your containers too...it can be too much for one project
  • if the boxes are ready, then the cleaning out of the shelf will go that much quicker
  • adjust your shelves to make the most of all the space in the cabinet too.
  • maybe set aside a little time on one day a week, so you can get through the task faster.

Remember ONE PROJECT AT A TIME and you won't be over whelmed.

I'm hoping to do one post a week to help with organizing...tips and tricks!

Have fun,

~Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...