Friday, February 4, 2011

Hand Metal Stamping...

I said Friday for this tutorial right? Better late on Friday than never! I promised I would show you how I taught myself how to metal stamp. The part about teaching myself should give you a hint that I am not an expert at this at all, but we all have to learn some where.

The first step is the steel metal stamps. I purchased my at Harbor Freight. Great service and fast shipping. This set is the full alphabet, numbers and the "&" sign. I know you can find a whole array of letter styles and symbols, but I wanted to start out with the basics, especially at a great price.





Here's the nice little box all the letters come in.




Each letter or number is on the end of the steel rod.






Beware when you get your set of stamps. They are coated in oil to prevent rusting! I just wiped my clean.



I'm sure the expert stampers use a steel or metal stamping block or area, but I just use our cement walkway or the garage floor. I know...not great for delicate sterling silver pendants, but I'm just practicing on 20 cent washers from the hardware store. DON'T hammer on tile floors for obvious reasons. Unless you want to replace your tile floors.



Set your letter where you'd like. Remember to make sure the letter isn't upside down!! See this picture below...this first strike made an upside down "S".



That's how I ended up stamping on the back of the washer on the rough side. Oh well, practice makes perfect right?



My advice in the beginning is to not try to make them all line up. Make them all crooked on purpose! To make the letters stand out, take a black permanent marker and color in over the letters.


On the first one I made for the bookmark, I stamped it on the smooth side and all the black ink rubbed off.


When you rub the surface, the ink stays inside the depth of the letters to show up more.


See that light hue of the black ink still in the rough texture of the washers? That won't happen if the surface is smooth.




You can make the bookmark like I did in the previous post, add a ribbon for a necklace, attach a key chain etc...





It's also great for stamping card stock or thick paper.



Make sure you stamp the paper with something thick underneath or you'll end up with an "S" on you butcher block desk...don't ask. I should take a picture of it. "S" for stupid!









I've been collecting old silver flatware from flea markets or thrift stores. I only paid 20 cents for some of these. If you look online, you'll find flatten spoons that are stamped and used for plant and herb markers. So cute.



For the best inspiration, go to Google Images and in the search bar type in hand metal stamps, hand stamped washers, hand stamped spoons, hand stamped crafts etc...
Or you can click on all these links below...

The best source for supplies and inspiration is Etsy. I typed in metal stamping and here's the link for that. Click here.

I hope this little bit of info will start you off on a new crafting adventure...like we all need to start a new hobby. LOL No hate mail for tempting you on a new project.

Have a great weekend,

~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...