Sunday, March 25, 2012

Pinterest and Copyright...My Head Hurts!

Pin It

I've been dreading writing this post, because it is such a touchy subject...Copyright. I've had a ton of emails asking whether people should delete their Pinterest accounts. I just want to mention, whatever I write here is my opinion and my own thoughts on this subject. Be kind in the comments section...I might cry!! LOL

The definition I found online is...

cop·y·right

[kop-ee-rahyt] 
noun
1. the exclusive right to make copies, license, and otherwise exploit a literary, musical, or artistic work, whether printed, audio, video, etc.: works granted such right by law on or after January 1, 1978, are protected for the lifetime of the author or creator and for a period of 50 years after his or her death.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
We all know what copyright is, but boy is it confusing...more so with the ease of information through the internet and computers. The new HOT website Pinterest has brought the topic of copyright to the forefront, especially in blogging. Many of us have Pinterest accounts and talk about it on our blogs.
 
The concept is awesome and that part I won't back down from. It's brilliant actually. Pinterest allows its users to have "virtual" cork boards where you can "Pin" your favorites. Favorites in any category you create...cooking, sewing, quilting, home decor, style, crafting etc. You can follow other Pinners and they can follow you...just like blogging. The wealth of inspiration that flows through Pinterest is astonishing.
 
You can "pin" something directly from the Internet and Pinterest automatically links the picture you have chosen to the actual site it came from...giving credit to that person, blog or owner of the picture, idea, recipe, tutorial etc. You can also "repin" something that you see on one of the other pinners that you follow. Just make sure if you repin something, the actual true link is still there to give that person the credit. (I know confusing, but once you start, it's like inspirational caffeine!! LOL)
 
Here's the MESS, what I can decipher from all the chatter on the tv, radio and blogs...when you take a photo or idea and copy it some place else, without permission from the author...you are violating copyright rules. We know that part, but I assumed since it automatically linked back to the author that was enough. Is it?
 
For ME and I mean for ME ONLY...I love sharing what I do. When I started this blog, I knew that once I clicked the "Publish Post" button, whatever I put out there was out of my hands to some degree. You have to really understand that, if you publish something on the Internet, it's out there for the world. Do I have a copyright paragraph on my side bar?...yes. This just covers me so I don't see one of my projects or patterns mass produced in the millions and some one else profiting from it. What I do want is someone to make and love the things I share on this blog. Make things for you, your family,  friends and even make a few and sell them at craft fairs or etsy shops. I even have a "pin it" button on each post, so you can pin the idea to your boards.
 
Blogging is inspiration and sharing of ideas, so I'm not sure why someone would be upset if their picture is "pinned" to some one's inspiration board. They LOVED it that much, they PINNED IT!! It's also linked back to you and your site. If they found your project on the Internet, then it must have been posted by you, so it's "out there" for all to see anyway. Posted for the world to see...really, the WORLD. If it's linked back to you to give you credit...no harm done. Right? (This is where I might find some opposition)
 
There is a new HTML code that you can add to your blog as a gadget. It will pop up if someone tries to pin something. Something like... This site does not allow pinning. Click HERE if you want to see that from Pinterest
 
I don't have any hard facts for this next part, but I feel most Pinterest users are like me (I am naive though)...we pin something because we love it and want to refer back to it at some point. I will NEVER use a picture I have pinned for profit...NEVER. and to think that I was violating copyright rules...NEVER. Will I ever find the time to make all the things I pin and find inspirational? Definitely not. I just love collecting ideas. Pinterest is just like all those magazines I rip the pages out of and save for future reference. Pinterest compared to my saved magazines pages is like comparing the Jetsons to Little House on the Prairie. Lol
 
Here is another point I am confused about...you take a photo and save it to your Pinterest account. What makes pinning something to Pinterest any different than...
  • placing or saving the picture in your "favorites" or "bookmarks" on your computer or saving the photo in your photo section
  • or sending the picture to a friend through emails or texting
  • sharing a picture on your blog even if you put the source
  • using sites like Stumble
  • using Evernote which is a free program to save things on your iPhone or iPad...no difference, just on your phone or iPad instead of Pinterest. You are taking inspirational photos from the web and placing them some where else.

The other issue with Pinterest is their terms of use. There has been so much hub bub about it, they changed their terms. Click HERE if you want to read the new version. Seems like they are really trying to keep this concept fair for everyone with the new changes.

Not sure what the point of this post was other than to explain what I've been feeling and to see what others are thinking too.

What's on your mind about this topic?

So, so confused,
~Karen~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisata Danau Toba - Sumatera Utara

Danau Toba adalah salah satu destinasi wisata alam terbesar di Indonesia dan terletak di Sumatera Utara. Ini adalah danau vulkanik terbesar ...